“Whether societies of men are really capable or not of establishing good government from reflection and choice, or whether they are forever destined to depend on accident and force.”
If we don’t get our politics right, our children and our children’s children will live in an Orwellian torpor with their lives, liberty and property constantly at risk because of obeisance to failed ideologies, fantasies, vote buying, political correctness and the never ending and fruitless search for Utopias. Politics is inherently personal. Following are but some of the ways I have been directly harmed throughout my life by our failure to get politics right.
- I had no father at home for 4 years during WWII which resulted from government ineptitude in fighting and ending WWI. Father was in Korea, also the result of political blunder, for another year during my childhood.
- I received an execrable, pathetic non education in government schools from age 5 to 18.
- The Federal Reserve created economic conditions that resulted in severe cycles, bubbles, panics, meltdowns and deep recessions throughout my life continuing to the present.
- I was subject to income taxes of over 90%, creating perverse, uneconomic incentives.
- It now requires $15,000 to buy what cost $1,000 when I was born due to government currency debasement.
- Regulation run amok made owning my business onerous. The regulations, all in the guise of protecting consumers, in actuality, caused them (and me) great harm.
- The politically micromanaged Vietnam War disrupted my life for the 6 years I served in the military.
- The Fed has brutally devalued a lifetime of hard work via chronic negative real interest rates intended to protect a feckless government from the consequences of its ongoing debt binge.
- A torpid, Europesque economy has been imposed, dooming me to economic stagnation instead of robust growth.
- The current crisis of spending, debt and deficits ultimately will result in a lost generation.
- Our government has recklessly created and/or exacerbated dangerous situations throughout the world by weakening our military and appeasing tyrants. An existential crisis likely will result.
- Obamacare death panels will ration and deny medical care and ultimately could kill me.
“The correct answer to Alexander Hamilton’s question may be in the negative.”